Pages

Friday, August 19, 2011

DIY: Save Money by Making Your Own Jewelry

I spent years when I was younger in craft stores, buying beads, embroidery floss, clasps, and other jewelry-making implements. Somewhere along the line, though, my enthusiasm waned and life became too hectic for jewelry-making. Recently I've been on a kick to add some "oomph" to my wardrobe, and jewelry is a relatively cheap and easy way to do that.

But as I've purchased necklaces and earrings that look fabulous for anywhere between $10-$20 (with my thrifty nature, I refuse to spend any more than that on jewelry), I've noticed that they look an awful lot like the ones I used to make. And, you guessed it, I'm now back on craft store patrol (I've found that Wal-Mart also has a good selection with reasonable prices) for beads and other items.

What I've found: for about $5, you can make your own jewelry to your specific taste. It's an incredibly relaxing activity, as well, since you are focusing on the task at hand and not the other three thousand things you think you should be doing.

What you need:
-Beads, appliques, or other jewels (I found each of the main pieces I used at Wal-Mart for $3 each; the vials of small glass beads were $2.50 each)
-Clasps, findings, or other connectors (I spent $3.99 for a bag of 6 sets of findings and $2.99 for earring findings, also a set of 6)
-Some sort of cord on which to place the beads/jewels. I use fishing line because it is very strong while being very thin, which makes it ideal for the tiny glass beads I like to use. (Price: free, since my husband keeps a large supply of fishing line in our garage.)
-An idea! Just a quick stroll down the jewelry section in any store is enough to provide you with tons of ideas.

Most of the pieces I purchased had ideas on the inside, and there are several websites that are great resources as well. I like:
I know there are literally thousands of great craft, DIY, and beading/jewelry-making blogs and site, so I know I'm missing a ton. Leave a comment to let me know who/what I'm missing!

1 comment:

jennifersign said...

I love making my own jewelry. It's so much better then spending the $15 a store costs for a necklace that most likely breaks while in use. Plus you can customize it with your own beading.